Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Man who slapped child in Wal Mart found GUILTY....about time

I am so glad that this man was found guilty.  I would have kicked this guys ass up and down the WalMart for doing this.  I don't put my own hands on my children and I will be damned if someone else is going to. This is so disgusting that a person would do this, this is another reason why I don't trust people around my kids. I will only go to jail over my wife and kids. I myself would still be in jail after what I would do to a person who might do this to my kids

Walmart Slapper Found Guilty

Updated: 2:24 pm EST January 19, 2010

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. -- A Gwinnett County judge found a 61-year-old man guilty Tuesday of slapping a toddler he didn’t know in a Stone Mountain Walmart.

The judge found Roger Stephens, 61, guilty of child cruelty in the second degree.

The judge sentenced Stephens to five years -- with six months of the sentence served in jail and another six months under electronic monitoring.

Since Stephens has already been in jail for five months, he will be out of jail in one month.

The rest of his sentence will be probation and will include mental health evaluations and treatment. He also will not be allowed to have unsupervised visits with children under 12.

Stephens no longer contested the charges of child cruelty which stemmed from an incident at a Stone Mountain Walmart in August.

Police said Stephens slapped a stranger’s 2-year-old who was crying inside the store. According to witnesses, Stephens slapped the girl four or five times with an open hand after telling her mother, “If you don’t shut her up, I will.”

The child’s parents were in the courtroom Tuesday and asked a judge for a stiff sentence for Stephens. The parents had asked for at least one year in prison.

Stephens’ attorney had asked for 6 months of probation. Stephens has been incarcerated since August

Deborah January 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM   Reply to

Thank God!! He should have had a worse punishment. But, at least he was found guilty rather then "incompetent" or some other BS.

Big City Dad January 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM   Reply to

Holy crap. If that was my daughter, that dude would be dead or seriously maimed. No one touches my kid.

This Daddy January 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM   Reply to

I mean the guy just looks like an asshole. I still cant believe this guy did this. Stuff happens every day but to do it right in front of the kids mom, I am surprised she didnt hurt him

Alison January 19, 2010 at 9:36 PM   Reply to

Does nobody learn any self-restraint these days? (Don't answer that, I know it's pretty rare, sigh...) Ever think about how many annoying people (whiny toddlers included sometimes) we come into contact with each day AND DON'T SLAP?! Mutter beneath our breath, roll our eyes, or maybe even say something caustic, but lay hands on?! Are you kidding me?!

Heather January 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM   Reply to

No words for this unexcusable act.

This Daddy January 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM   Reply to

I know Alison, on one hand you say "I cant believe someone did this" but then on the other hand, you know that there are some crazy people out there. Just nuts.