Wednesday, June 23, 2010

We got spirit yes we do....here goes nothin'

Today I am cleaning out my drawers
No, assholes. Not my underwear, its just another way of saying
Im cleaning out my closet.  NO!  I did not say coming out of the closet either!

So I have a secret.  Only certain people know about this.  I have tried to keep it quiet for ummm lets say 20 years now, but I can't keep it in anymore.  Honestly its not that big of a deal.  I used to think it was but T was saying something to me about it the other day and I just figured it was time to let it out.

It is something that alot of people did and still do to this day.  At the time it was me, my best friend Patrick, his brother Dwight and a few more of us. After football season some of us were approached by the cheerleaders.  They asked us if we would help them out and be

(deep breath)

MALE CHEERLEADERS

Imagine a starting Qb (Patrick) and a back up QB (me) and a big lineman (Dwight) and some other football players sitting there in a gym watching 10 or so girls dance and jump and scream and do crazy shit.  We never paid attention to these girl during the games, we were too busy sucking and getting our ass' kicked.  But now we all sit in the gym looking at each other wondering what the hell are were doing here.  We knew all of these girls and were friends with all of them, so when they ALL came to us with the puppy dog eyes, and short shorts and wool sweaters and whatever else they had on how could we say no?

UH.  We didn't.  So at that point we became.....thats right Male Cheerleaders.

Now we didn't have to dress like this

But we did get to do this

I have to admit, this was not easy.  Girls stepping on the back of my calves and climbing up my back to stand on my shoulders and then stand up there and having to jump off...

And then I had to catch them?  I dropped my share of girls.

Probably the best part of the deal, was when we got to go to a big national cheerleader compitition in S.C. I think at Myrtle Beach.  Man that was the bomb, a high school kid, there I was in a hotel with hundreds and hundreds and hundreds girls.

So this was pretty much me for a brief period of time in high school
SNL Will Ferrell Cheerleaders from Kobra on Vimeo.

Now my wife has know about this for years, and has always threatened me with it and I always told her I would be so pissed if she ever told, but you know at this point, shit I dont care.
I used to be embarrassed by the fact that I did this but that was 20 years ago and who cares?  Nobody can say anything to me that will hurt my feelings or make me feel stupid about it.

I mean how many high school boys get the chance to have cute girls legs wrapped around their necks and then get to look up cheerleaders skirts and no get slapped for it.

So there I did it, I cleaned out my bloomers and let it all hang out.  My secret is now known.

GlowinGirl June 23, 2010 at 10:20 AM   Reply to

A whole new side of you. It left me speechless. ;)

Merrie June 23, 2010 at 11:21 AM   Reply to

Great blog -- and what a husband you are!

Love the Craig and Arianna clip -- I'm planning to try and get my boss to dress up as them with me this Halloween. Our entire management group is hopefully going to be old or new SNL characters.

No shame in male cheerleading -- hopefully he'll feel the same way!

Megan M. June 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM   Reply to

I have a friend who played football in high school, and went on to be a cheerleader in college. The amount of training, strength, and skill for cheering is sorely under appreciated. Made me smile that you aired this particular laundry!

Lori June 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM   Reply to

Male Cheerleader, never would have guessed, but I think that's way cool and what's even cooler is that you're not embarrassed anymore and don't care about what others think about it! :)

Theresa June 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM   Reply to

it takes a REAL man to admit he's done that!!! lol... at my high school we called it Powder Puff Football and at the end of the season many of the football players did it and the girls played football! the girls walked around school all day dressed like football players and the guys as cheerleaders! it was FUN!

Maranda June 23, 2010 at 8:09 PM   Reply to

Hmmmm....well I think we will all be changed from this confession of yours. LOL! Thanks for sharing!

S.I.F. June 24, 2010 at 2:54 AM   Reply to

I don't even know what to say right now. I want to laugh, but I think I am stunned into submission.

Please tell me you have video of this. Or at least real pictures. You kind of owe me after taking down the whole political satire before I even got a chance to see it.

0007 June 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM   Reply to

hehehe...I shoulda known! Man, its nothing to be ashamed of. You would have been labeled a fanook in my small south texas town, feaux-cheaux! At that point in my life, I wouldn't have been secure enough to do that full time. We did the whole Homecoming Cheerleader/Football Player Switch, and we were better than the real squad, but that was it. You got balls my friend...and I don't think its anything to be hanging your head about...hell, you should keep your head up (just like you did back then-hehehe). I mean, really, its not like you spend all your time chatting with stay at home mom's on the internet all day, or shave your legs and armpits....wait a minute....shit, I can't handle it, I'm going shopping! Meet me at the mall, buddy?

0007 June 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM   Reply to

and yea, SIF's right--make the pictures, homie...I know you got somethin!

MollyinMinn June 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM   Reply to

Can I even begin to tell you how hard I am laughing right now?

Sonora June 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM   Reply to

Ha! I love this! Good for you for admitting it. It is therapeutic. I recently admitted my own stint in cheerleading (although that isn't as brave as it is for a guy). You are right, you were the lucky one with the cheerleader wrapped around you. Thanks for sharing!

Kat June 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM   Reply to

HILARIOUS!!! And I am so glad that I have found your blog just in time for this big announcement. But I'm not going to lie, I just might forever picture you in your man cheer gear!!!