Thursday, July 15, 2010

Problem with cosleeping

COSLEEPING -(as listed in Wikipedia) A practice (practice that we have perfected) in which babies (C4) and young children (C1, C2, C3)sleep in close proximity to one or both parents, as opposed to a separate room.

See over the years, I have changed my way of thinking on some things.  Cosleeping being one of them.  I used to be kind of against it.  Meaning that when the kids are older, get your ass out of my bed and get in your own bed.  MY bed, MY space.  I know that is selfish but whatever. It's about ME ME ME and MY MY MY.

My problem is that even though we have a king size bed, I still struggle to have comfortable space in which I like to sleep in.  I like to be spread out, legs apart so my balls are not sticking to my thighs all throughout the night.  I hate sleeping clothed, which I have to do now since C2 asked me a while back "Why do you sleep naked?"

Well to make last night worse, on the way home from work, I noticed my underarm was burning up and T looked at it when I got home and she got the crazy look on her face.  I have this huge red irritated rash looking thing on my right underarm. Fucking killing me.

So I am having trouble sleeping anyways and guess what happens?  Cosleeping bed from hell happens.

C1, the first to come in and that is highly unusual. He hardly ever comes to our bed in the middle of the night.

C2, then comes in and he like to spread out like me, so he is all over the place. Legs and feet all up in my space.

C3, she was the last this morning and she is ok, she curls up like a little ball at the end of the bed.

So shit, 6 of us in the bed, me with some kind of underarm rash, fungus, death disease that makes me uncomfotable and then throw in the ol sweaty balls sticking to the thighs and I had one helluva night.  And the only thing that makes me smile about all of this, T is over there sleeping like a damn log.  Not moving.  She is in HER space and sleeping so soundly.  God I am so happy that she sleeps good. BULLSHIT.

So see, I really don't have a problem with cosleeping, I just wish that maybe the C's could take turns and rotate nights that they flock to our bed.

Andrea July 15, 2010 at 9:26 AM   Reply to

I had a night like that last night...King size beds were NOT meant for 6

Tracy July 15, 2010 at 9:37 AM   Reply to

I think I heard the couch calling your name. You must have been in some sort of deep sleep and didn't hear it. :)

This Daddy July 15, 2010 at 9:41 AM   Reply to

HAHAHA, see that is you dreaming in your sleep dear. I was up and I heard Roberto calling YOUR name from the living room.

Gretta July 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM   Reply to

We had a California King size bed for a few years when the kids were smaller and three of them used to pile up in it with us in the wee hours of the morning. It still wasn't big enough for 5 of us so I feel ya on that one! Hope your "death disease" goes away quickly too.

Maranda July 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM   Reply to

Sorry you had a bad night. I make Little Butt stay in her own bed but when she wakes up in the morning I pull her up with me and we snuggle. It's the best!

Kelly July 15, 2010 at 11:29 AM   Reply to

You know I am on to you, you wolf covered marshmellow :)

TRIPle-OH!-7 July 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM   Reply to

OK, this isn't so tough. I've been thinking of these kinds of issues lately. We are the modern "good parents;" liberated from these 'terrible' things that those before us had done to us, and to those before us.
At our house, its a mockery of co-sleeping, a mockery of the 'Ozzie/Harriet'husband and wife 'togetherness.' Lukus and I sleep in his room, Kylee sleeps in her room, and Robin sleeps on the couch. Our bedroom is 'under perpetual construction' as the carpenter (me) has not been pro-active in finishing home projects other than his own physique. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? No, cuz no one does it like this or doesn't say they do. So what happens is that we have very little structured living. What happens here is that we 'make our bed, now we must lie in it...& that means in piss sometimes. Meaning: We never took out the bud-nippers and now this is what they know. Right or wrong, it IS. So what I've decided is that if we want to hit the 'undo' button, there's a much longer process than the click of a mouse like here in this 'terminal' world we yap in day in & day out. If Robin & I want to sleep in the same bed, its going to require some work. 6 years is hard to undo for Lukus. If you want change, you gotta work. For you, you'd have to get up and haul them back to their own bed, over and over and over again...sacrifice this week's sleep for the future days when you can sleep with your nuts out again!
I think you're kind of like me, though; seizing the day with the little ones, because the days when they will laugh in your face if you ask them to come sleep next to you are getting closer by the milli-second! So you, like me, drag your feet about making changes like these because eventually they just work themselves out. Hell, by the time they all will not want to come into your room, you're ball-troubles will be at the knee and not at the thigh--more urgent than now.
SO, fellow modern-liberated dad, what do we do now? Do we get medieval on that ass? Do we fight for the old traditions finding some kind of reason to release our liberation and revert to the very principles we chose to disregard? Naa, I think we find a way to make it work.
One idea I contemplate: just have a 'sleep-room'for now. Put all the beds in one room and then everyone has a place to sleep and its understood that its time to sleep when you get in there...I don't know. I just don't want to fight for sleeping in my room because the days are fleeting of having a continuous sleep-over with my little buddy. I don't get much time with either of my kids or my wife either for that matter....hmm...I guess I need to return to the wagon...(I've had an extra cup of coffee this morning so I'm a little bit 'out there,' with this - not very organized....maybe I'll actually post a blog post about this....maybe not though....gotta go for now---

0007 July 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM   Reply to

wow...that was longer than I thought it was...{that's what she said}

Erin July 15, 2010 at 1:27 PM   Reply to

I was unaware that this type of thing existed, and am now serisously reconsidering my need for children. Cosleeping just won't fly in my world. I have seriously considered asking my husband for 2 beds. I have a "my" space issue. Good luck!

Penny @ iCouldbeFake.com July 16, 2010 at 6:47 AM   Reply to

LOL. Sorry about your rash and sweaty balls!

I did cosleeping with all three of my children, and made the decision to transition each time I found out I was pregnant... to avoid having multiple children in bed with me at once.

Now with #3 I'm transitioning way sooner than I did with the first two because I want my own bed and body back!!