Thursday, December 2, 2010

Could you ever do this and why?

Can your kids do something so bad that you would never talk to them again or make you not even care where they were?  As a child can your parents do something to piss you off so bad that you wouldn't want to talk to them ever?

Everyone is going to have different answers to these questions.  Both of my answers are no.  Now I may get upset with my kids over time and they may get older and make decisions that I will not be happy with but I don't think I could ever cut them off.

My parents and T's Mom, now they are great parents and awesome grandparents.  They both do a lot for all of us.  As a son, I know that I have done a hell of a lot in my life that have made my parents mad.  From punching holes in the walls in their house, to drinking the good stuff when they were gone, to having buddies throw up on very light carpeting in the house.  But the one thing my parents never did was cut me off.  At the same time, my parents have done things that have made me mad over the years and I would never close the door on them.  There might come a day when I wont want to talk to them for a while or they might make me so mad that I will have to distance myself for a bit, but again I don't think I could ever just forget them all together.

Why am I saying this?  All day long I call people asking for information trying to find family members so I can find the cars I am trying to repo.  I can't tell you how many times I hear "I don't talk to my child" or "I don't talk to my parents".  Now I know I am being lied to a lot, but sometimes some of this has got to be the truth.  "I don't talk to my siblings" or "I haven't talked to them in years".  Seriously??  I am an only child, but I cant believe that brothers and sisters cant talk to each other. Get mad, hate for a while, but it all comes down to family and like Jo the SuperNanny says "For Life"  My kids better NEVER stop talking to each other.  I want my kids to know that they will always have someone whether it is T, Me or each other.

Maybe that is why when people on the phone tell me that they don't talk "To Them", I give them the smart-alec response "Yeah, sure..whatever."  I just cant understand it.

So again I ask, Can you shut out your parents or children for any reason?  Family.  Family has to stick together.  Your kids will ALWAYS be your kids.  Our C's will always be our C's.

Chew on that....

Now guess who was having his own little party last night? I went on a recon mission and found our little Elfie has settled in quite nicely.  Making himself at home.

First I spotted him by T's laptop.

And then as I was going to take C3 to sleep pee
I saw Elfie on the couch.
  Elfie.  Look at the Playa'. Not one but two Barbies.
(I had to do some work on the photo's.  Elfie doesn't realize
that I run a family blog here.
(And seriously, I couldn't find the clothes)
(I know it looks like they have diapers on)
(But at least it looks like they have on cloth diapers)

And finally this morning after a hard night of partying Elfie ended up
In the bathroom, holding a toothbrush.

Another day in the life of Elfie.

KISS THE BABY

PS.  Giveaway ends soon, if you don't enter you cant win.
&
Let's Twitter.  If you read the blog, let me know if you do the Twitter so I can follow you.

Tracy December 2, 2010 at 10:39 AM   Reply to

Yes you sure can cut off "parents". Take for instance "my dad".

Now you see why I said what I said.

Lori December 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM   Reply to

There's nothing that my children could do that would make me not want to still be a part of their lives, for always. It's an unconditional love.

It's about time you started tweeting. I'm @ljcooney3

The Mullins Life... December 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM   Reply to

If someone is so toxic in your life that they bring you down you have to cut them off regardless if they are family. Screw me once shame on you screw my twice shame on me! Now my kids I would never cut them out of my life.

Chels December 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM   Reply to

I can't see myself ever cutting my parents or unborn children out of my life.

My dog however, is a different story.

Alex Johnson December 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM   Reply to

No matter what my family does, I'll always be there for them, they in turn for I.

On a less solemn note, Elfie's now my role model. :P

0007 December 2, 2010 at 1:52 PM   Reply to

It appears that Elfie likes brunettes...
And yea, my family,we fight, but it always eventually blows over...

Amanda December 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM   Reply to

I hardly talk to my brother, it's just easier that way, we don't get along very well, and fight like cats and dogs. Right before I moved to Hawaii we had a knock out drag out, and to keep the peace between us and my father and mother, we just don't talk. I've talked to him maybe 2 times since I moved, and every time it's been fine, so maybe the distance helps.

As for being a parent, I don't think I could ever not talk to my children. But then there is the whole my son is adopted and I have no choice in the matter, I can't talk to him, but I wouldn't turn him away.

As for being a child, I once almost cut my father off because he allowed my step mother to do things to his children that she just had no right to do, and he just stood there, not taking up for his flesh and blood, and I couldn't believe how he could do that. In the end he divorced the witch so I didn't cut him off. But my mom, I haven't talked to her in a few days because she thinks she doesn't have a daughter, which fine, if that's how she feels, I'll allow her to think that. But I will talk to her again, its just right now, I'm too pissed off at her to say anything now.

Quincy December 2, 2010 at 9:47 PM   Reply to

I don't get it either. How someone's relationship can get to that point is beyond me. I guess I can see it if maybe a child wasn't protected from abuse from an aunt/uncle or something. But, it would have to be an extreme situation if you asked me.

plantingpennies December 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM   Reply to

Good post Bro, blessings to your family, sounds like you're doing better than most.

Penny December 5, 2010 at 8:02 AM   Reply to

Children... absolutely not. I would never cut them off, ever.

I don't much talk to two of my sisters and I rarely, if ever, talk to one of my brothers. Maybe it's because we weren't raised together... I don't know.

I am closest to my cousin, she is my very best friend.

My whole family is screwed up to be totally honest but the ones I talk to I love them just the way they are and even if they screwed up again I would still love them.

But the sibling thing... I don't know. I'm trying to think. I agree with you, I want for my children to always be friends and count on each other {if they actually ever make it to "friend" status.. lol} but for me and my siblings, I think it is different if you are raised separately.

Or not, I don't know. Because Chris was born when I was 16 and he and I get along and I never lived with him.

I will be thinking about this all day long now... ha. Thanks.

Maranda December 5, 2010 at 3:34 PM   Reply to

Haha! Go Elfie!!

Honestly, I think it depends on the type of family. You have to wonder if the kind of people who get their cars repoed are the kinds of families who don't talk to one another.

My mother was all about "family loyalty" but it was really just loyalty to her. Whenever me or one of my sisters was fighting with my mother we would get cut off from the family and the rest of us had to cut off that person as well.

Because of my mother's manipulations and lies I did not talk to my father for 10 years. We are finally speaking again. He came back into my life a month before Little Butt was born.

When Little Butt was born I realized that I didn't want her growing up with that kind of life so I didn't talk to my mother for about 3 years. Her and I started talking again this past February.

I talk to my older sister now and we are very close but she hated me when we were growing up. And my younger sister...we don't have a close relationship. We talk from time to time.

But honestly, that's just how we were raised. It's sad. But it happens. Oh, and both of my sisters are those people who would have their cars repoed.

Sometimes you have to break away from a toxic family unit to heal and find strength.