Monday, August 22, 2011

Isnt she the sweetest thing....Ummm, HE'S A BOY!!!!

Hearing those words make me shake my head at the ignorance of some people.

So I heard something this morning on the radio and it made me once again realize that we are living in a place where people think everyone has to be the same. And I am not just talking about Ga. for this particular thing but society in general. People think that boys need to do this, girls need to do this and if they don't do that then they are weird or different in a bad way.

So on the Bert Show radio program I listen to in the morning one of the guys Jeff was telling a story about how a friend of his was talking to someone and a kid and the person said in reference to the kid "She can bring all of her friends" and then the kid said "I am a boy". Well Jeff said he was so embarrassed and the friend was and then Jeff said the comment "Why doesn't the kid cut his hair?"

That right there automatically made my mind think that I live in the biggest M-F'ing redneck ass narrow minded society that there is.  I know this guy Jeff is the comic relief on the show, and his comedic statements are usually speaking the truth or getting laughs or trying to get people to feel one way or another. I don't think for a minute that he is of the mindset that all kids should look like little military servicemen, but I could be wrong.  Everyone has opinions and that is fine, but why is it that people can not look past what someone looks like and then make that judgement or get to know someone first? Especially kids!

C1 has long curly hair and C2 has long straight hair. C4 has curly hair and people have a one time or another called my boys...girls.  If you really look and open your eyes and get the rebel redneck flag out of the way you can see that my boys don't wear girl clothes they don't look like girls and they don't talk like girls.

This used to upset me. I used to blast people when they said something so ignorant and just plain stupid like "oh she is too cute".  Is he wearing pink, or is he wearing a dress or something with bows and flowers??? Are people that F-ing stupid to know the difference between a boy and a girl.

And why is it that people think all boys need to have short, buzzed, military style haircuts?  I cant stand that shit. People says that shit all the time to me here where I work and I tell them to cut your kids hair and you let your kids look like little rednecks and let them look the same as everyone else. I mean, dont f-ing worry about my kids and their hair. I think I can handle it. You worry about your redneck ghetto ass kids and their sloppy ass runny snotty nose, rude ass M-F'er.  My kids love their hair. I love my kids hair. My kids actually look cool as hell.

T and I have never and will never make decisions for our kids based on what others think. People make comments about us homeschooling. Screw You too. Keep your kids in crappy public schools.  "Homeschooling kids are weird and unsocial" Really, my kids are very social and do the same things that alot of kids do.  "You don't let your kids play with guns?" NO we don't. and I will not. Just because yours do, and even though I did as a kids, WE make the choice to NOT let our kids play with guns of ANY KIND. Not water, lego, plastic, play...NOTHING.

So i guess I am ranting and raving today. I mean even this weekend we went to a movie at the park and T saw some boys beating and punching this other kid and he just laid there crying and T took the boy over to his mom and the boy that was doing the punching was cursing at T. Really, a young kid is going to be that disrespectful to another adult. No one else was going to ask this child if he was ok as others just looked at him. What are we trying to teach our kids today? I know kids roughhouse and play and get crazy but these boys left this other boy there crying. T did what she hoped other parents would do if that was our kid or anyone else.  We dont let our kids do that. I dont want my boys out playing at a park and all of a sudden C1 and C2 jump on a friend or another little boy and start beating on him. That shit isnt cool. Do you want your kids to be the bullies or the kids that make fun of other kids for what they look like or what they wear?  Teach your kids to be nice and respectful to other kids.

So there you have it. We are the weird family. We homeschool, our kids have long hair, we don't let them watch stuff that isn't age appropriate (PG), we don't play with guns, we don't allow words such as stupid, dumb, idiot, hate, shut-up and other words that are negative. We don't let them ride up and down the street or play in the front yard without us being out there. And im sure that there is much more.

But you know, I am ok with all of this. I would not change a thing about how we raise our C's.

And I also wish that I still had my boys hair. And good looks.

Tomorrow post- Having a gun in your home with kids..Is it ok?

Kiss the Baby

The Hill House August 22, 2011 at 11:57 AM   Reply to

I love the Bert show; listen to them every morning. It definitely drives me crazy when people try to tell me what I should be doing differently with my kids. I say as long as they are safe, healthy, and happy, we must be doing something right, so let me be! Good for you guys for standing up for what you believe is right for you and your family, even when others may disagree.

This Daddy August 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM   Reply to

@The Hill House I just started listening to them maybe a month or so ago, when my satellite radio ran out, and I have heard things i like and dislike, but they do hit on topics that affect different people. I refer to them as a live blog show.

And thank you, we do feel like we do a great job raising the kids.

The Mullins Life... August 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM   Reply to

I think the way you and T raise your kids is awesome and works great for your family. Who cares what people say about long hair on boys one of my boys has long hair and he is damn cute. One thing that just really pisses me off is you don't like to be judge on your parenting choices but you sure do judge others on thiers. So I guess I am one of those that keep thier kids in "crappy public school" do you know what I say to you
"SCREW YOU"

Chrissy August 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM   Reply to

We were at the pool last summer when my little girl said something to another child and referred to them as "she"...the mom quickly corrected her and told my daughter (and me) that it was a boy. I was very embarrassed, and I didn't really know what to say. My 4-year-old only knows that boys have short hair and girls have long hair - it's just the norm for her and what she sees in our house. But to tell me (or her) that we are redneck, close minded people is a
bit much. She didn't know any better, and I don't raise her to be rude...frankly I don't think she was rude, she's was just 4 and trying to make conversation.

I agree with "The Mullins Life"...if you don't like being attacked, why would you throw out attacks?

This Daddy August 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM   Reply to

@The Mullins Life...WOW Laura, I guess screw me then. And I dont think I am judgeing you on having the C's and T in public schools, I believe I said keep your kids in "Crappy public schools" not crappy parents keep your kids in public schools. And yes C does look awesome with his longer hair.

This Daddy August 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM   Reply to

@Chrissy I dont have a problem when a child says something like that to a child, kids dont know any better sometimes. Adults are different. And if you lived in the south then you would know what I mean by the redneck mention and the close minded term. Come to the south away from the midwest and see how different it is. I have lived in the north, the midwest..Kansas and Texas and now Ga. There is a redneck culture here and alot believe that boy shouldnt have longer hair. Bring your family for a visit and you will see what I mean. A huge culture change from Missouri

Mie August 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM   Reply to

The most stupid comment i had so far must be " Awww they are so cute, are they twins??".
I always feel the urge of saying, no i adopted one of them and they just happen to look identical.
People are retarded at times.
Nowadays i don't get that, and both look like boys aswell, but one of them is more girly and like girly colours. And he gets it, he have loads of red clothes, and if he wanted a doll i am sure i would give him one.

The Mullins Life... August 22, 2011 at 2:18 PM   Reply to

I just feel you come across very judgemental to people who don't parent the way you do. Every parent makes choices that they feel is best for thier family and children it doesn't make it right or wrong. I guess I just don't understand why you feel the need to bash what other people do or don't do with thier children.

This Daddy August 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM   Reply to

@The Mullins Life... If you are making choices that you and B feel are right for T and the C's, I dont have any issue with that. I love you guys. I love your kids. Just cause I hate the actual standing public school system doesnt mean i think you are making a bad decision. That is ya'lls choice and I am always behind you all 100%. Parents are always going to question other parents decisions, always, in public or behind closed doors. And If Im a basher Im a basher, I am an asshole and all I can do is hope that I am rasing the kids to be better than I am. But you can think how you want, screw me and Im fine with that.

The Mullins Life... August 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM   Reply to

I guess we can agree to disagree.Its your blog and you can write what you want to.

This Daddy August 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM   Reply to

I might change the name of my blog to

THIS JUDGEMENTAL DADDYS BLOG

The Mullins Life... August 22, 2011 at 3:11 PM   Reply to

I think that would be a great name change;)

Chrissy August 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM   Reply to

Let's start there...about parents questioning other parents. Why do we do that? What business is it of yours what I do with my children, and what business is it of mine what you do with yours? Judge away...but really, it's a waste of time.

This Daddy August 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM   Reply to

@chrissy All parents judge other parents. No one said its right, but everyone does it. There is NOT one parent out there that doesnt or hasnt at one point and time, made a remark or said something about what other parents do with their kids.

Working Mommy August 26, 2011 at 10:47 PM   Reply to

At least you are raising your kids to know what gender they are from the beginning!! A lot of people are just ignorant, and I tend to ignore them. It is better - and less stressful - for you that way!

WM

Anonymous,  August 29, 2011 at 3:23 PM   Reply to

I am just not sure why you are offended if someone calls your child a girl accidentally because they have long hair? You choose for them to have long hair, and if someone mistakes them for a girl, it most likely isn't being rude, it is that they honestly think they are a girl. Like it or not, if you choose for your boys to have long hair, people are going to mistake them for girls at times. No judgement, just truth. It isn't an issue of being stupid or ignorant, it is just a misunderstanding. I just don't get why you would get so worked up over a simple mistake that you KNOW people are going to make when you choose long hair for boys. And that is not a criticism of long hair. It is almost like you invite people be confused, then call them stupid if they don't get it right. Kinda judgemental.

Muliebrity August 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM   Reply to

I get what you are saying, and I totally agree, but you lost me when you brought up the clothing aspect. Why is it that in your opinion, one is supposed to identify gender from the clothing? So you think little girls should wear dresses and hair bows all the time? What if they don't want to? What if they want to wear some baggies and a t-shirt?

This Daddy August 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM   Reply to

I dont care what clothes people or kids wear. What im saying is my boys are not wearing dresses. My daughter wear shorts and t-shirts and she still looks like a girl. My boys even if they wear a pink shirt, they still dont look like girls in my opinion.

That MoM....Those KidS August 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM   Reply to

I live near a military town and we get comments the long hair comments sometimes too. I get their hair cut when they ask me to get it cut. Even my 5yo can say-i want to get my hair cut. If they want to let it grow out a while then thats what we do. At the same time I had a guy at our local "rural" hardware store make a comment about the flyswatter I was buying was for spanking kids. I informed him "it is for killing flies-I don't spank my kids" He was full of opinions about how I must let my kids go wild. it makes me feel a bit more judgemental about other parents-since they feel compelled to fill me in on their parenting decisions that I would not otherwise even know about. if others would keep their opinions to themselves I would never know how stupid they are.