Thursday, October 27, 2011

Whats Love Got To Do With It? I Guess Nothing To Some Of You!

When Beyonce sang "If you like it then you shoulda put ring on it" she wasn't saying it had to be a massive diamond or some expensive new kind of stone or a fancy cut and clarity or whatever. She simply said Put a ring on it! But be careful fella's your lady may trip out if you dont break the bank to make her happy.

So as I am driving into the j-o-b this morning, I hear the The Bert Show and they are talking about women and how they feel about the rings the men buy them for engagements and weddings and are they picky and choosy and does it have to be a diamond or this and that.  I for a split second wanted to call in, but I know that I would get hung up on. I was so mad. Listening to the women on the show talk about how they would rather have their man wait and save up money so they could get the ring they wanted instead of being happy with what they were able to get then and there.

Which brings me to this. Yes I am a male. Its true that engagements and weddings and stuff like that don't mean as much to a man as they do to a woman. BUT...Isn't it all about LOVE ladies?  The Love you have for your man. The man you SAY captured your heart BEFORE there was even thought of the ring?  How come you ladies cant be happy just being happy?  Why do you all have to screw it up and put the materialistic value on everything?  "That's not the ring I wanted"  "That's not big enough"  whatever.  Does it really matter what your needy, judgemental girlfriends think of your ring? They are probably the same hateful little ladies that didn't want you to be with that guy in the first place.

Ladies, don't you complain when your man, has all of his "Boy Toys"?  His cars, his video games, his hunting items? I'm sure. I would be willing to bet that the women that are NEEDY and cry and moan and groan about having the perfect ring are the same women that cry and moan and groan about the "Boy Toys".

What happened to the days when it didn't matter about the material items.  Back when our grandparents told us stories about proposing with a plastic ring, or one made out of grass, or not one at all cause they couldn't afford it?  I know Tina Turner said "Whats Love Got To Do With It" but shit, women cant figure out what the hell they want.

-A guy that will love me
-A guy that will treat me good
-A guy that will never stray
-etc....
-Oh but he better put that expensive, nice big ring on my finger or forget it.

Ladies if you are that type of person, I feel comfortable in calling you High Maintenance and Needy and for that you will find out one day that all that b.s. you needed and wanted is just that...B.S.

There is one thing that the radio conversation and the opinions of the ladies from this morning made me realize...I met and married a REAL WOMAN.  And by that I mean, she never once cared about what kind of ring, size, diamond or any of that. In fact when WE went to pick out rings she made it a point to not go above and beyond and drop large coin on the rings. And after several years and kids later, when she mentioned that she wanted a NEW band, she didn't try to find one that was crazy expensive..NO, she looked around and found one that she liked that was a great deal. So I am glad that I married a woman that is not MATERIALISTIC OR NEEDY.

T and I have love. A love that isn't measured by a piece of jewelry.

Again this is just my opinion and I know some of you ladies may agree and some of you will not. Tell me whats up.

Kiss the Baby

Lost.in.Idaho October 27, 2011 at 10:18 AM   Reply to

My girlfriend said "any ring will do, I'm not picky."

So I gave her an onion ring.

I'm glad she has a good sense of humor.

This Daddy October 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM   Reply to

Exactly. See that is a winner right there.

Penny - the awesome one. October 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM   Reply to

OMG. You should see my ring. The diamonds are practically non-existent. My husband insists he is going to buy me a new one. I don't want a new one. I love this one.

And I don't have an engagement ring. From "official" engagement to wedding was 30 days.

Great idea to post about something you heard on a radio talk show. I heard this show the other morning about women talking about what makes a man a man... this one woman was a HUGE BITCH!

Erin October 27, 2011 at 10:54 AM   Reply to

I couldn't resist posting on this one! I'm one who complains about the "stuff" that Dru has (boat, fishing crap, motorcycles, etc. but I'm not one who wanted a HUGE ring or even cared (he cared more about my ring than I did)...don't get me wrong, I love my ring, but I love my husband more and that is what counts!

Non-Stop Mom October 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM   Reply to

Like I just told you on twitter (sorry, I couldn't find the comments on your blog right away - need coffee) the biggest baddest ring on the planet doesn't mean shit - it's the promise behind it that counts.

But then again, I've been told that I'm *too* low maintenance. I didn't think that was possible.

Amy

Megan M. October 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM   Reply to

Scott! Fer serious? First off, hairy back man, there is "high maintenance" (ahem. see said hairy back.) and then there is materialistic. Note the difference.
Now, That being said, it's not about the rock. Should never be. Frankly, my husband was way more concerned with my stone than I was and spent far more than I wanted him to.
It's a sad statement on society when the size of the stone is supposed to be reflective of the love in the marriage. Most of us ladies will tell you though, it isn't about the rock. It's about how you'll roll with me through the tough stuff!

Dana @ ReallyWWWThinking? October 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM   Reply to

I didn't even want an engagement ring, but Chris insisted. He did a great job picking one out - it wasn't too big & very simple. Just like me ;-).

I don't understand some people's love of material things. I've had friends with big, beautiful rings...and they are already divorced. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a family trip or a bathroom renovation!

Don't just blame women, though. Some men love it, too, & they feed into the behavior.

Michelle Twin Mum October 27, 2011 at 11:47 AM   Reply to

Fantastic post, you really got me thinking.

I had always held a belief that a daimond engagement ring was a necessity and I do have one but it is not what I would have chosen, it is better as my hubbie had it made for me and choose it himself. He also bought a surprise trip to Paris as part of the proposal, I can't knock that.

Mich x

pocahontaskkme October 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM   Reply to

I accepted what was given because I love the man, not the symbol!

limetreekids.com October 27, 2011 at 5:11 PM   Reply to

I'm sure you were not surprised by what you heard on the show. Sometimes it's just annoying listening to somethings...