Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Toddlers and Tiaras. Sick, Disgusting and Harmful

I want to start this post off by admitting that I watch some pretty messed up shows on TV. This is not a post to make fun of people for watching certain shows.  Everyone has different taste.  I watch shows like the Bachelor (often degrades women and shows men to be pigs), Amazing Race (sometimes shows how we Americans can be rude to others in their Countries) and those are just a couple of many that I watch.  So trust me I cant knock you people for watching certain shows, but I can knock the shows.

That brings me to a post I read the other day by Amy at Mom Spark about this subject and I wanted to blog about it too. So if you have a moment or twelve (I'm long winded) read hers and mine and lets discuss it.

What I do want to do is talk about how disgusted and sickened and saddened I am by a certain show on TV. TLC's Toddlers and Tiaras this show makes me so sick to my stomach. I have never and I will never watch a minute of this show.  You, TLC, nobody could physically force me to view that show. There are plenty of reality shows with children on them and there have been before and there will be more in the future.  But have you looked at those KIDS?  Looks at those KIDS and then look at YOUR KIDS.

I want to try and break this into some different parts here. I know I'm going to get hammered by some readers for this and that's OK. Everyone is different.

These LITTLE girls on Toddlers and Tiaras are not looking like little girls. They are looking like plastic made up dolls and to me (in my opinion) that just isn't right. Look at some of the pictures (if you can stomach it) on the link above or on the Facebook page Facebook-Toddlers and Tiaras. First I wouldn't want my daughter to look like that. That isn't natural. I mean all that makeup isn't natural on an adult why would it be OK on a kid. And yeah, maybe the kids enjoy all of that dressing up and being in pageants but to that extreme? (I know, its the same as kids in sports too). Cant those little girls enjoy being little girls without the pressure of having to win and act grown up and walk a certain way, talk a certain way, perform to standards that are set by who?

Brings me to my next point.  The Moms and Dads.  Pageant Moms and Dads.  Is it more moms or are there dads that are pushing this too?  All you really see in the media are the moms that push the girls to be great and look great.  Why are they doing this. Was the mom a failure as a pageant child in the past?  Was the mom ugly as a child?  I often think (even in sports) that parents are trying to live and recreate their lives through their kids lives. Is that what these crazy moms are doing? Have you seen cut throat way some of these moms act?  (Reminds me of the mom that killed the cheerleader so her daughter could have a spot on the squad)

Next point. We all know this is a tough topic to handle. We all know that with the media, twitter, Facebook, TV shows and even yes..public open events that there is going to be a lot of attention to these kid pageant events.  Everyone knows that child predators are out and about.  We also know that there are some sick people in the world that use the media to view children in ugly manners.  Doesn't anyone other than myself think that the false beautification of these little girls may be helping and leading these sick perverts into other areas of seeing these children and maybe even possibly doing worse?

Do young children, boys or girls need to be dressed up in such a manner that it makes them look so much older than they really are. Does anyone remember the photo of the little girl in the Julia Roberts Pretty Woman costume? Seriously, a little girl in a hooker costume?  What about a little boy in a tux that has to go fake bake and has so much gel in his hair that it doesn't move.  Why do the kids have to go get their teeth whitened and fake lashes and all that crazy stuff?

Cant a little child just dress up and play at home and sit in the make believe kitchen and sip tea and pretend to hide from the pirates and get saved by the fireman or policeman? Cant we keep the whole dressing up the kids for playtime an innocent thing?

I cant really call for a boycott of a show that I think is sick and disgusting when I watch shows that are sick and disgusting in other way.  I may be no better in the way that I push my kids to be smarter, better learners and thinkers.  Maybe I push my kids to be the absolute best Lego builders in the country.  Maybe if I push them into the elite class of Lego builders they can get into Ga. Tech and become Master Engineers?

But I think this show in particular is such a bad. I think its a bad idea. I think its bad for the kids, I think the parents (moms and dads) are doing it for the wrong reasons and I think more harm than good will come from this show.

Now I know I may have some supporters and I'm sure I will get beat down by some of you, so put the gloves on get to your corner and come out swinging.

Kiss the Baby

Dana @ ReallyWWWThinking? February 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM   Reply to

I agree 100%. I do occasionally watch the show, if only to make myself feel better about my own parenting skills. I agree that there are kids who enjoy dressing up & dancing in front of an audience but there are other options.

My niece wanted to be in a pageant when all of her friends were doing them. My sister found a local, "natural" pageant that didn't allow flippers, makeup, hair pieces, etc. she had a great time & still looked like an 8 year old. She didn't even place but she congratulated the winners & hasn't mentioned pageants again.

The parents & pageants portrayed in the show absolutely disgust me. I know not all pageants & not all parents are like that...the majority probably wouldn't make a tv show very interesting. However, the show brings a very ugly part of our society to the forefront: the sexualization of children. I hope people wake the hell up.

Jenny Georgio-who February 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM   Reply to

I'm not gonna lie, I've watched the show occasionally and it DOES disgust me.When I see little girls wearing 29 pounds of makeup I want to beat the ugly off of the moms. Yes Scott, I believe that most of these Pageant moms are trying to live vicariously through their children. They either didn't make it in pageants, they were too ugly to even consider it, or whatever the case may be and they take it out on their kids.

I saw on the news the other day that a mother gave her 4 year old child "Go Go Juice" which is Mountain Dew with RED BULL. Really?! As if Mountain Dew isn't bad enough they mix it with RED BULL which has warning labels about consumption. Why does she make this for her daughter? Well to keep her energy level high the entire pageant.

It sickens me and its one of the reasons that it took me so long to even consider putting D in modeling. I wanted to be sure that she wouldn't be taken advantage of. We control what companies we take her for auditions to.

The world is a scary place and watching T&T just proves that sometimes its not the outside predators we have to watch out for...sometimes the parents are the monsters.

trooppetrie February 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM   Reply to

oh man, my hubby saw the outfits on dance moms and about had a fit. Seriously it is not like they dance better with less clothing and where do you go from this. What when they are 13 and developing you say now oh now you have to start dressing modestly

Jamie @ Making Mama Happy February 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM   Reply to

I don't feel as strongly about it as some but I do know that if I had a daughter, we would not be doing pageants!

Great post. Definitely thought provoking!

Merrie February 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM   Reply to

Agreed! Who is in such a hurry to take away their children's childhood? And how is it appropriate at all to dress them this way? My 8 year old daughter doesn't understand why I don't want to hear the words "I'm sexy and I know it" out of her mouth, but I think you do.

coolfez April 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM   Reply to

Have you seen some of the parents on there? They are usually plain looking and worse and just want to get attention through their kids. I think the show producers have a sarcastic streak because there are many scenes where the parents are like "Oh she loves it and if she doesn't want to do it, I wouldn't force her. It is all her" and then they show a scene where the child is crying and throwing a fit about not wanting to do the show or put on make up. LOL

Lucy Kitway July 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM   Reply to

I hope child pageants will NEVER become popular in europe! Scary thought!
I started modelling when I was 16. I thought it would be good pocket money. I started hating it. My agent wanted me to give up school and go to Italy, but I decided to quit.
I finished school, went to university, travelled the world and never ever missed the beauty business.
Some mothers put their babies in pageants. That’s the life they know from early on.
They are NOT asked! Make up, false nails, false hair, false tan…They don’t even have time to develop and express their natural beauty. They learn that the only thing that counts is outer (fake) beauty.
They all seem so unnatural and brainwashed by their sad mothers/ parents. No kid cares about money, or looks. And they shouldn’t…there’s enough of competition, greed and shallowness in adult life.
These kids are trying to please their idiot mothers, that’s all. Underneath all this cheap looking glitz and glam is a lot of pain and as a human being you should be able to tell by looking into the blank stares and fake smiles that they don't enjoy it! It’s a disgrace to children. And these kids have no voice…I watched a couple of episodes and everytime there was a case for CPS. Long term studies show that pageant girls have unhealthy relationships to their bodies and are more likely to develop anorexia, depression, body dismorphia etc… and other psychological problems.

Leda Anastasia August 16, 2016 at 5:51 AM   Reply to

This is 4 years after you wrote this entry and I was just watching this show and it was making me so sick I needed to find out if anyone else feels like that or the whole world had gone sick in mind..

I agree so much but also, since I've seen it I also see sicko parents, some of them even look like they are sexualy abusing their kids. It is hard to say that, but this is the feeling they give me. And even if they are not it doesn't make them better parents. Kids are crying in pain because they are having their eyebrows waxed and being told that practising their talents routines is their first priority and there is no time for playing.

It makes me thinking what all these experiences do to their innocent child mind and what kind of adults are they going to be tomorrow.

I can no longer watch this show. I am not a parent yet but I remember my childhood and puting myself in these kids' place gived me tears in my eyes.

I can only feel better knowing France banned these beauty pageant, hoping they are going to be the first of a lot to come.

Roz August 24, 2016 at 2:55 PM   Reply to

This is a show for pedafiles and I'm totally disgusted by these mothers and how they can do this to their kids. I saw the show for the first time while sitting in a doctors office. Totally disbusted and it makes me think of the Ramsey child. Makes me wonder what happens to the kids when they get older. Very sad.

Roz August 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM   Reply to

Terry August 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM   Reply to

I've avoided it for years, because just flipping channels & getting a glimpse of it is disgusting.

I watched a full episode tonight. The parents (mothers) are really disturbed. One put her 2 week old baby in the pageant.

But really, what's okay about a 4 year old looking like a tramp, and even worse - acting like one.

Piecengreen December 16, 2016 at 9:21 AM   Reply to

They are trully disgusting and I would take away the kids from all these sick idiot, fat ass "mothers" who bevause they were looking like a pig, forces their kid to look like a mini whore. So so disgusting, I don't know why anybody let to do a show like this. Fake teeth, tanning oils and fake hairs, nails??! Idiot bitches!